As I write this I am looking out my hotel window at the sweep that is Broadbeach, Gold Coast, Queensland. Am I on holidays again, you ask? No I am not.
I am sporting a media pass and covering the V8 Supercars race for my work. Oh, the glamour.
As I race about (pun!) dodging grid girls (fun!), I had ample time to reflect on what I learned during the week that was…
1. A friend asked me on Monday, “Besides your family, what makes you happiest?” and without hesitation I responded that time stands still for me when I’m writing, making and generally being creative. Wherever I am, whatever I’m doing, I would much rather be making something.
2. A ‘flimsy’ is a quilt top before the batting and backing have been added (thank you Sue at Charlotte’s Cottage!)
3. Whenever you see a large group of idle teenagers, one will be plucking away at a guitar. It’s best to vacate before they launch into a rendition of Stairway to Heaven because, believe me, it will happen and it will not be pretty.
4. Geocaching is a high-tech version of a scavenger hunt using GPS. There are hunts already preset that you can download here – it really adds that extra something to a bushwalk. Check out the fabulous Geocache bag and goodies that Emily made over at her fabulous Saltwater Kids site.
5. I knew this already, but bloggers really do seem to be the nicest bunch of people on the planet. What is it about blogging that brings out the best in people? The delicious comments I received on the mermaid party post made the party even better. Generous, warm, inviting and supportive… I don’t think the critics know what they’re talking about!!