There’s been rain on and off these hols. It hasn’t been too bad, but I’m still not over the torrential rain we suffered in November (it takes me a while) so I panic the minute the clouds come over. This means I’ve gone all out working out how we’re going to stave off the cabin fever should the downpours begin in earnest. I swear Sydney is getting more and more Monsoonal every year…
Of course, the best things to do on a rainy day all happen outside… jumping in puddles, sailing sticks down the gutters, dancing in your togs, catching drips in a glass. But if you are absolutely stuck inside, here are 25 things the kids can get up that I think are so cool we won’t even want to wait for rain.
1. Construct an elaborate indoor mini-golf course.
2. Weave a mobile with sticks.
3. Create an elaborate geometric puzzle.
4. Make mini worlds in shoeboxes.
5. Do an indoor shape scavenger hunt (we do love a scavenger hunt!)
6. Write some “old-fashioned” letters.
7. Make scones and stage an afternoon tea party.
8. Choreograph some dance moves.
9. Listen to an audio book.
10. Finger knit a scarf.
11. Try some marshmallow and toothpick construction.
12. Make some recycled owls.
13. Put on a puppet show (Max’s favourite).
14. Write a short story and illustrate it.
15. Play with our socks.
16. Set up an indoor obstacle course.
17. Strike a few yoga poses.
18. Try “eye bombing”.
19. Build a fort under the kitchen table.
20. Read some books together.
21. Imagine with story stones.
22. Bake some health rusks.
23. Get out the hama beads.
24. Play indoor balloon tennis.
25. Shoot some marshmallow guns (maybe).