We adore a hunt around here. I’ve yet to meet a kid who didn’t love searching for a list of things and a treasure hunt, scavenger hunt or some other kind of ‘challenge’ is always included in our birthday party game line up.
A hunt couldn’t be easier to put together either. Most just require the creation of a list (or even just printing one out) and off the kids go. So if you find yourself at a bit of a loose end one afternoon, may I suggest sending the kids off on a wild goose chase?
Here are 25 ways I plan to get them hunting and gathering.
1. Admittedly more complicated than a standard hunt, our photography challenge is all kinds of good fun.
2. A simple shades of colour hunt.
3. Nature treasure hunt for non-readers.
4. Nature treasure hunt for readers (with poem).
5. The colours of nature hunt.
6. Make a summertime observational walk around the garden.
7. A hunt to photograph all the colours of the rainbow.
8. Take a counting number find walk.
9. We’re going on a word hunt (great for sight word learners, but fun for all ages if you scramble sentences…)
10. Hide favourite toys in the backyard and get the kids to search for them. Perhaps the toys will send a ransom note?
11. This scientific treasure hunt is just gorgeous.
12. Create a treasure map and X hits the spot!
13. Tally up the number of times you find things on your list.
14. This is a really clever hunt to capture sweet childhood moments on video.
15. A Follow the string treasure hunt is so imaginative.
16. An alphabet treasure hunt is fun for all ages.
17. A noun scavenger hunt for older kidlets.
18. Try a deck of scavenger hunt cards.
19. A pictorial take on a hunt, great for any age.
20. Take it to the next level with a scavenger hunt journal.
21. I only hesitate with this one because of the thought of putting it all away again later.
22. Including an artist’s pallete is a cute take on a colour hunt.
23. Sticking the list to a paper bag makes good sense.
24. Theme your hunt to make it special – here’s a pirate version.
25. A hunt for textures is a neat spin.