Cute Class Gift | Elf donuts

Elf donuts-8Elf donuts-9DIY elf donutsLong time readers will know that one of our Christmas traditions is making something for every kid in the class. This was all very simple when we started with a sensible something for Max’s Kinder class of 16 children. Not quite so simple now that we have three classes totalling 81 children (plus teachers and random assorted others). But we persist because we love it – making something together is actually a very lovely way for the family to spend time together – and because I have a pathological loathing of candy canes. Shudder.

This year we made elf donuts. I’d seen these around last Christmas on Pinterest and I just knew they were going to be our 2104 every kid in the class thing.Elf donuts-2

Elf donuts-4 Elf donuts-3Elf donuts

To make the boxes

We started with some cute mini-kraft boxes from Blank. We added a little Elf Donut label that I made (click on the image below to download a pdf to print your own). Boxes are 51 x 51 x 51mm and labels print at 48.5 x 48.5 x 48.5 (95% of box). We also lined the boxes with grease proof paper to keep things nice.

Elf donuts pdf labels

Elf donuts-5

To make the donuts

All you need is a box of Cheerios (we used the honey version so they would be yummy to eat on their own as a snack). They actually look elf-donutty enough without doing a thing to them, but you can make them extra fancy by dipping them in a little icing and then into sprinkles. The kids really enjoyed this bit! We also dusted some with a little icing sugar – you can have fun experimenting with different donut finishes!

For the icing

Mix plain icing sugar with enough water (not much) to make a slighly-runny paste. Add pink food colouring or enough cocoa powder to make a dark chocolate coating. We used tweezers to handle the little donuts when we dipped them into the icing and then into the sprinkles.

To finish

Add the donuts to the boxes and you’re done.

Elf donuts-7

If you’re not keen to make multiples of these boxes for all the kids in the class, you could always make a few for dear friends or even one for the kids to set out on Christmas eve to say thank you to the elves…

Other ideas for Christmas gifts for little friends

Elf chocolates Reindeer noses Rudolf bags

What random Christmas traditions do you have at your place?

Comments

They have been a huge hit, it is true. I loved them so much it was hard to say goodbye to them this morning… x

OH MY WORDY! I am SPEECHLESS! This are so divine I can hardly stand it. We are SO doing this asap. Ava (6) made bookmarks for everyone in her class this year…that’s what happens when you have a librarian for a mum!!!!!!!!!!!!! #librarynerd

Come pack and upload of a photo if you make them, Megan. I’d love to see them. They are really fun for the kids to make too (bit fiddly, but messy is okay, right?).The only problem was I found it very hard to give them away…

I’d also love to see a photo of the bookmarks you guys made. #fellowlibrarynerd

They are just too cute! I came across them the other day while searching for Christmas craft, and wondered if they’d get soggy when you ice them? I am ashamed to say it but I opted for the mini candy canes stuck to a Chrissy card because it was easy! I hope you have a great Christmas Bron x

Go the mini candy canes, Julie. Don’t be ashamed, I think I’m the only one who hates the candy cane – they have many, many fans.

They probably do go soggy, which is why we had maybe only about a 10% iced inside the boxes we gave away and 90% straight honey Cheerios. Mind you, they didn’t stick around long here to find out… x

My god did you guys seriously make 80+ of these!!! You’re like wonder-family!! That’s brilliant. How cute are they! And yep – I’m totally with you on the total dislike of candy canes. Mega eeewww!!!

It honestly didn’t take that long. Constructing the boxes was the most time consuming thing and that didn’t take very long at all!! x

Oh Bron they are adorable! I love them… I have a heap of those plastic little bags maybe it’d work in those but with a tag ontop… Kinda like the raindeer noses…

Just love this concept though super cute & like usual you make it look so super easy. xx

Kim, I can resize the label for you if you want to make it an elf ‘bag’ of donuts instead? I don’t mind ‘cos I can always add the pdf ot this post.. just say the word! x

Woohoo! They look amazing Maxabella! How fantastic to receive a box of elf donuts!! The mini kraft boxes are perfect for them :) xx Blank Goods

Love them! And I forgot about the reindeer noses. I’ll definitely be doing those at some stage! (Some stage… like Christmas, der.) x

Yup, reindeer noses definitely go down best at Christmas! This is actually the annoying thing: wouldn’t it be nice to be able to do stuff like this when we’re not as busy? Why does everything have to happen at the same time??? x

Bron, these are just too cute! We do mini gingerbreads each year for the whole class, because those revolting candy canes just make me feel sick.
    How good is it that school’s finished? Woohoo!! x

Hello you! Back from the exotic desert and full of your usual good tidings. I missed ya! x

8. Bree says

What are the dimensions on the boxes and labels? I’m trying to find boxes to do this with. VERY CUTE.

I’ll add the information to the post. Boxes are 51 x 51 x 51mm and labels print at 48.5 x 48.5 x 48.5 (95% of box). x

9. Kylie says

We milked the “Do you want to build a snowman” phenomenon for all it was worth. I had seen the little bags with marshmallows and choc chip buttons etc but decided on a non edible version with white glittery playdoh, orange pipe cleaner noses, pipecleaner arms, buttons and googly eyes. So easy, so cheap and a massive hit. Looks a lot more effective than how simple it really is.(Cant seem to add a photo). have done a similar one with green playdoh, gold star, tiny tinsel and sequins to make a xmas tree. We generally do store bought Bon bons for each child with a xmas balloon and Santa choc stuffed in to add to the hat joke and stickers. Then just write from “child’s name” on the outside. Even the too cool grade five kids go nuts for them.

My fave will always be the noses. Elf donuts next year for sure!

Oh my, you are an ‘every kid in the class’ queen, Kylie! How cool were your Frozen bags. I like the bon bon idea – I don’t think we’ve ever had a cracker come home at our school. Might be an easy one to do for next year! x

I love how you make something for every kid in the class. Its such a great lessons for kids to see how important it is to think about everyone in the class, not just your closest friends. And as for the elf donuts…they’re so sweet!!!