I first hit publish on this blog on 27 April 2010 with a random post about garlands. It was the first thing I had written that wasn’t for school or work in about 11 years. When I read that post again, there is such hesitation in my writing, such self-consciousness. Not in a million years could 2010 Bron have known that that first blog post about garlands, dear old garlands, was going to be the first of 1,311 posts on Maxabella Loves.
My blog has grown with me over the years. It’s somehow more personal now than it has ever been, even though I don’t write about myself half as much as I used to. Instead, I write about all the things that matter to me – all the things that make for a connected, heartfelt family life.
I reckon I’ve written over 1,000,000 words on this blog, so I wanted to pull out some of my favourite old stuff in the hope that you’ll read it. Because when else am I ever going to get the opportunity to pull out my old stuff? (Wrinkly sexual innuendo completely unintentional, I promise). Just skip to the dotted line if I’m boring you.
- The one about wanting our kids to be someone they’re not because I think stopping that is just about the hardest thing we’ll ever do.
- How to play fly because I love the little video and video is something I’m into lately.
- How a village really raises a child because it’s one I’m still thinking about.
- How to go screen free because it’s the most important thing I think I’ve ever written.
- Enter the tiger mother because she needs to come out from time to time.
- The one about being in the picture because it changed everything.
- The one about breastfeeding because it’s really a post about how we make this parenting thing up as we go along.
- The one about the kind of parent I really am because we all need reminding from time to time.
- The one about being a parent of the whole world because we are.
- The birth of me, every which way because we all need to tell our birth stories some time.
When I first started blogging, I thought I wasn’t very good at craft but was an ardent admirer of makers everywhere. Look at me go now! Crafting with the kids is something we do more and more and love more and more. Sharing simple things that even non-crafty people can enjoy making with their kids means a lot to me.
Another thing that has changed a lot for me in five years is discovering how much I love photography. Telling stories is both a written and visual thing for me now. I can’t imagine one without the other. I enjoy taking pictures for my Morning in the Life series and plan to make more time to keep it going. Taking time out to do the things we love is what life is all about, surely? If you are keen to get into photography, a good place to start with my absolute beginners series.
The parties are winding down at our place – I always said I’d do them until the kids turned 10 and then we’d move on to quieter pastures. Badoo is still little, but this year is Cappers’ last big party and Max went out with a bang with his manic Minecraft party last year. My favourite parties so far have been:
What is family life and life in general without its ups and downs and sideways? Every now and then I throw a random post into the mix, contemplating my navel and often the navel of others.
- Judging others and how to stop because while I haven’t quite stopped, I’m nicer.
- I’d rather be fat than nasty because I was slammed when this was published on news.com.au and I still don’t quite understand why it mattered so much.
- Sometimes I want to troll myself because I do.
- There’s a frog in my pants and Chinese laundry and Give a little bit because sometimes I write funny and I like it.
Will be all about writing my Screen Freedom ebook because I reckon it will take me that long. Maxabella Loves will continue to be about connecting with your family, raising darling and daring kids and being proud of the person you are. I will also continue with the #inthepicture project because that’s such an important thing to remember to do as often as we can.
Oh stop! Enough already! It’s time for the presents!
Because it’s not about me. It was never about me. The best part of my five years of blogging has absolutely, totally, completely been about the people that I’ve found. Bloggy people have immersed my world in creativity, kindness and that certain POP that happens when you know you’re living the life you always wanted.
One of the people who embodies all of that for me is my friend Pip Lincolne. I met Pip through blogging, have had the honour of working with her on Kidspot Voices for three years now and adore her to bits. She is sunshine in your computer. She’s got a brand new crafty book out right now too, which I have no doubt will be as delightful as her first two books. Probably even better, because Pip always ups her game.
A Blog Yay! or Blog with Pip (yay!) present for you
Anyway, Pip is so gorgeous that to help me celebrate my bloggy birthday she has offered a prize for two of my darling readers. Thank you Pip!
The first prize will be a place at Pip’s fab blog course Blog with Pip. The course if for new bloggers, thinking-about-it bloggers and experienced bloggers who want to shine. You can sign up for the June 2015 intake or make it another month. Up to you.
The second prize is access to Pip’s Blog Yay! program. Blog Yay! is pretty much everything Pip knows about blogging tied up with a neat, handmade bow. It’s a community and a resource all in one and you’ll connect with other bloggers who are keen to do the best they can using all of Pip’s knowledge and experience.
Either prize would be amazing and I’m so grateful to Pip for sending them our way. To win, all you need to do (and I’m being quite indulgent here), is leave a comment below telling me
- 1 thing you really love about Maxabella Loves
- 1 thing about Maxabella Loves that you are just not interested in (just tell me, I can take it)
- and 1 thing that you hope will happen for you in the next five years.
The two most honest, creative answers (as judged entirely by me and my family) will win! Entries close 11:59pm, Friday 1/5/15.
I’ve loved this blog and the blogging community for five years now. Considering how much has changed in my life since that first garland post (except my garland fetish, that is still very much with me), I can’t wait to see where the next five take me! Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for reading.
Please still say hi in the comments, even if you aren’t entering the giveaway!
______________________ ♥ ______________________
Thank you to everyone who entered the competition – your feedback was wonderful fuel for thought.
The winners are…
Cathie from Melbourne Epicure has won the Blog with Pip course. I want her to start blogging again.
Kristy from Loulou Zoo has won the Blog Yay! access. Randomly drawn from many wonderful entries.
I hope everyone’s 5 year dreams come true. Start making them happen! x