Weekend Rewind | Does everyone have a book in them?

Georgie Madden wrote a book - clever GeorgieOn Wednesday night we held a surprise party for my friend Georgie Madden, who has just launched her first book into the big, wide world, Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum.  Georgie’s book is receiving fab reviews and Wendy Squires said that she “nailed the reality” of life-with-baby for the fashionista set. Um, I wouldn’t know about that, but the whole world shifting on its axis after the birth your first baby? Now that I can totally relate to!

I’m so admiring of Georgie finishing such a massive project when she has kids, a family and a job as a writer. The little Screen Freedom ebook I’m writing has already taken at least twice as long as I thought it would and I’m not even halfway. A real book is a massive undertaking, one I’m very familiar with thanks to Al’s prolific writing, and I just can’t imagine carving out the time, nor having the discipline, to get it finished. But, as I always say, you make time for the things you love.

One of the guys at Georgie’s launch party asked me if I had a book in me. “A fiction book?” I asked. “Not on your life!”

I can say with absolute certainty that even though I might have thought I had a story to tell when I was younger (it was to be a psychological thriller with a very clever, never-saw-it-coming twist in the tale, instant international best seller), I don’t have a book in me.

Do you have a book in you?

Make time for the things you loveOther things that had me this week:

Reading – currently re-reading The Last Summer of the Camperdowns for the Pink Fibro Bookclub. And did you see all the really, really good book recommendations this week? I am stocking up!
Writing – not enough lately! I am so behind on all sorts of deadlines.
Making – we made some really cute projects over the hols which I’ll share with you soon.
Wishing – that all the Belle Gibson lies never happened. As someone who counts on the credibility of hte internet, it’s making me itch.
Loving – the Sneh and Luisa workshop I was lucky enough to take part in today! I will post about it next week!
Wondering – how on Monday it can possibly be 5 years since I started this blog? I’m having a little party, so please come!

Image Map

Lila is one of the most open-hearted bloggers I know and a beautiful artist to boot. She has always been one of the people that I have met online who I have tucked into my heart. Blogging opens up our worlds to so many special people. It’s such a privellege.

Happy reading!
x

Please join me here:
Facebook Twitter Bloglovin | G+

THANK YOU for joining the Weekend Rewind list, hosted by Maxabella lovesLife, Love and HiccupsKelly Exeter and Lila Wolff (Sonia Styling is on sabbatical!) . To join in simply link up your favourite post and visit a few other bloggers for a read and a chat. A link back here on your post is appreciated.

Comments

I have to agree that if we want to do something we make time. In my case I have a book in me but it’s not quite ready to come out yet. Well that’s what I’m telling myself! My book will be non-fiction… maybe. x

I can only dream of being a book writer. I’m like you, I got nothing in me resembling a book. I am in awe of those who do however! It’s even more amazing when I hear they’re mothers juggling the everything and still manage to pull a book out!

I certainly wouldn’t know about the fashionable side of things! I’ve actually seen this book in the shops, will be adding it to my reading list. I was more than a little excited to go through the list of great books on your FB post, I started Girl on a Train last night and think it might be a late one tonight trying to finish it off!
    I think I do have a story in me that might be worth sharing. I’ve been slowly and quietly plugging away at it for awhile now and one day I might be brave enough to share it.
    Have a lovely weekend x

Good for you, Lauren! Plugging away at it is exactly what you need to do. And I read Girl on a Train in two sittings, interrupted only by a dinner party. It wasn’t the best writing, but man I was intrigued!! Fascintating characters. x

Oh I bet you do have a book in you Bron! You’re a great storyteller!

I definitely have a book in me. I dream about it all the time. It would be fiction (maybe loosely based on real life) and it would be about…. NFI. I would have written a dozen books by now if I could settle on one good plot, but I’ve got nothing except a dozen very average, not even remotely interesting ideas. One day….

You’ll be the opposite to most then, Lauren. Most have the idea but something holds them back from getting it out there! I think your book would be rather amazing, just quietly. I see a complex, ethical dilemma, I see redemption. x

Congratulations to your friend Georgie, Bron.
    No books in me, I’m certainly no writer just a plugger finding my way and learning new things in this blogging world each day, that’s time consuming enough for me, but I do love it!
    You make me feel normal when I read you’re behind on lots of things at the moment, I’m always chasing my tail.
    Lila Wolff makes the most delicious looking food, looking forward to following her blog some more.
    Have a beautiful weekend! xx

Oh what an achievement I think being able to accomplish anything whilst a mum besides breathing & feeding is amazing let alone a book!
    I think I have a book in me, a few actually… All be it cook books… Ha see what I did. No novel writing for me, I would love to think my creative skills would be able to stretch to that ability but I think short drafting of words and creativity in food and art is where my skills sit.
    I’ll keep the novel talents to the pros like your clever sis. xx

I’m with you. I am loving writing my screen free book and you know I love to tell a story, but I think putting that into a non-fiction book is more my style. I am enjoying the design, photography and all the rest too. That’s my style. Words plus images. x

Hi Bron, I do think everyone’s got a book (or 3 ) in them but for the life of me I cannot write mine. I tried. I was bored writing it. Love the look of the book your friend wrote. Looks ace. Denyse PS where is the linky?

I’d love to write a book but not quite sure I’d pull it off. High five to you, Georgie and all the other writers out there! Can’t wait to hear about the workshop and all the cute projects – you always do the best things! Bon weekend!

How lovely that you threw a surprise celebration for your friend, Bron! That looks like a book I’ll have to get my hands on, I think.
    As much as I dream of it, I just know I couldn’t write fiction. I’d get too bogged down in the details. I wrote a book about being a new mum, 11 years ago, and I’m working on another now. Boy it takes a lot of time to get it just right, doesn’t it?!
    I can’t wait to see what you did at the workshop. And 5 years…..YAY!!
    Have a gorgeous weekend x

I didn’t know you’d written a book! Details please! I’m glad you’re working on another, Lisa. You are such a good writer with lots to give. x

It looks like that course was wonderful – look forward to seeing the results! As for have a book in me, I have thousands – all written by others, of course! (Love escaping into a new book). Whether there is one of my own, and whether it will ever see the light of day, well, we’ll see (if there is one, it won’t appear for a while yet – no rush) x

No rush. We can be like Bukowski – dabbling until late in life and then BAM we’ll have arrived!! x

I’d love to write a book but think it would probably be a collection of short stories rather than a novel. My attention span is not what it once was! Damn kids… 😉

Short stories is a really good idea, except I think i would have trouble coming up with one good plot / character idea let alone several! x

Well, like I said to Em, if you plug away with a goal of 100, 200 words a day, you’ll have the whole thing banged out by the end of the year.

And don’t wish me a happy blogiversary today! Come back on Monday to play! x

I can’t wait to get my hands on Georgie’s book – looks fab!
    I have a book in me and it’s 1/4 done. One day it’ll be finished…..ONE DAY!!!!!!
    Oh and yes, the Belle Gibson story is making me itch too! HOW??!!! Seriously, how can one person go through life creating such false hope for such a dedicated following – not cool! Heartbreaking really!
    Cx

Devestating for so many people trying to help others, I fear. Silly girl. I hope she gets the help she so clearly needs, but I’m struggling to forgive her, regardless.

You’ll absolutely love Georgie’s book, Claire. It’s so your thing EXCEPT you are STILL a fashionista! x

I absolutely ADORE the cover of Georgie’s book. Yes I do have a book in me. I’m 40 000 words into the first draft and I started writing a couple of months ago. If I didn’t waste so much time on social media I’d have finished the first draft by now :)

Yep – I have a book in me. It’s about 20,000 words in. But then I started a blog and there’s not enough time to write both!! Will have to re-jig things at some point I think….very impressed with Georgie’s book, so inspiring when busy mums can produce this sort of stuff.

Georgie doesn’t keep her blog up to date, Laney, so I think you are about even at this point! Keep going!!! x

5 years! Wow! Congratulations! I’ve just celebrated my first blogaversary and that was exciting enough! I can’t imagine writing a book. It would have to be non-fiction I think. I’m sure you’d have a brilliant non-fiction in you. Can’t wait to rad the Screen Freedom one.

Thanks Kirralee and congrats on 1 year! I’m not certain that had I only started this blog 1 year ago I would still be going, so there you go! Come back on Monday for some special fun for bloggy loving. x

16. Georgia Madden says

Oh Bron, am still in absolute shock and amazement that you threw me a surprise launch party for Confessions! Without a doubt, one of the best nights of my life, and one I shall never ever forget. From the bottom of my heart, Thank You, my wonderful friend. Feeling #soblessed

Another book for my reading list! I’m not a fiction writer but love to read it. I wrote a non fiction book several years ago now … “Clues to your Calling”. Not sure if there’s another book in me though – happy with my blogging!

A book? Not so sure about that but maybe just maybe a cook book one day, maybe! I’m going to add Confessions to my reading list too and I can’t wait to see all your up coming posts on all the fun things you’ve been doing. Happy blogaversary for Monday. I’ll be celebrating 1 year on Tuesday and 9 years of marriage on Wednesday!

19. jenni says

I want to know if the recipes were Belle Gibsons?? If they were, that cant be taken away, the fact she is a bloody good cook and nutritionist, or did she plagiarise them from somewhere else? All the talk is about the lies and not the actual product, which was actually quite good!
    AS for a book in me, I’m searching deep for a 3500 word essay at the moment, so definitely cant see any book!
    Cheers!

I don’t think I could cook the recipes now anyway, which is a such a shame really, you are right. The whole thing is just ugly, ugly, ugly.

Good luck with the essay, Jenni! x

What an achievement of Georgie to get a book out there! I’m lucky to leave the house with pants on most mornings. Gosh, my one burning desire as a kid was to be an author, and write many a book. I don’t think I have the skills sadly, so will continue to mull over ideas in my dreams. Though I think you could totally do it- it’s in there!! x

If you had that burning desire as a kid, I reckon you’ve got one hiding in there somewhere (most likely behind your confidence by the sounds of things!!). x

I can’t wait to hear about that workshop, I would have loved to take part seriously!
    As ever you are too sweet about me, thanks for letting me join in!

It was TOTALLY your thing, Lila. From the food to the company to the expert tuition to all the beautiful things we captured. We had a lovely, lovely day. x

Congratulations to Georgie – and what a gorgeous cover! I probably do think that everyone has a book in them – and now thanks to the internet, every writer can be published, which is fabulous.
    But like you say, Bron, writing takes time and discipline…lots of discipline but it can be done. And it’s so much easier when you love what you’re writing about, regardless whether it’s fiction or non-fiction. Can’t wait to read Screen Freedom when it becomes available! X

No chance of a fiction book in me but maybe a non-fiction coffee table book? I do like pictures :) Looking forward to popping back on Monday to join in the celebrations – 5 years is huge!

No I do not have a book in me either… so love reading other writers efforts though! I am usually more of a non fiction girl than a fiction – I think because real life interests me most. Looking forward to your Ebook and thanks for letting us know about Georgies book – sounds a gorgeous read! Rachael x

I totally do have a book in me – if I can ever get it actually written. I have pages and pages of notes and a story lines and characters.. what I am lacking is time to bring it all to life xx

We all have a book in us – some of us have several. Mind you, that doesn’t mean we have to share … but as a journo by trade I know the most interesting people are not celebrities but the ones I already know. We all have stories to tell.

Congratulations Georgie!

Ooh yes, I had a book in me and I pushed that baby out! Returning, by Francesca Suters, if you’re wondering 😉 I have the sequel in me too – it’s started, but it’s just going to take some time…

I hope I do have a book in me as I’m 11,000 words in on my first work of fiction. I admire women finding the time to write between work and family as my writing time is often the first thing to go when things get busy. But I’m trying to change that as I realise my book won’t write itself and carving out a chunk of time for myself isn’t selfish; it’s self-preservation.x

Trackbacks