Hello 2017 | One Word

Intention - ONE WORD

Happy new year! Happy! New! Year!

I’m not going to do the big spiel about the annus horribilis that was 2016, because yes, I get it, it was a bad one for so many across the globe. For me, it was merely just a slippery year that I never quite grabbed hold of. Case in point: I kept forgetting what my ‘word’ was all year. And I’d look it up on the blog – yes, that’s right, ‘clean’, I want to live a clean life, I want to eat cleaner, feel cleaner, be cleaner, get a cleaner (!), etc, etc, etc – then promptly forget it again.

‘Clean’ was clearly not the right word for me last year.

Although… I do think that I lived ‘clean’ last year. I sorted out my eating in a big way. I established a few organisation systems that helped free me from a lot of internal clutter. I improved my sleep habits. We started using an app to track our budget. I yelled at the kids A LOT about keeping their rooms clean…

But over all, after letting 2016 slide through my fingers, there was only one word that I could choose for 2017.

Intention - ONE WORD

Intention

I want to bring more intent to everything I do. From the big things — like setting some solid goals rather than just wafting about the place as I am inclined to do — to small things — like having a place at home that my iPhone returns to so I can stop losing it all the time — I plan to live with more intention.

Intention means choosing, rather than just doing. Intention means knowing, rather than just thinking. This is the year where I will articulate my values and purpose. The year I will be mindful of my place in the world.

It’s a big word, and a small one too.

Have you chosen a word for 2017?

Share your One Word 2017 in the comments so we can talk it through. If you’re struggling to find your word, tell us that too and we’ll see if we can find one for you together.

To all my regular linky gals: I decided not to do the linky this year, but if you drop a link in the comments we’ll all visit each other’s posts that way.

Comments

• says

I’ll look forward to reading it, Helen. Pop back in with a link. Trust is such a good guiding word – others, yourself, the universe.

1. Reannon says

I’m choosing habits. I want to create ones that help me & ditch those that dont. I want them to be small & simple but have long lasting impacts. But I also want to remind to be kind to myself if I skip up. God I love a new year!

• says

Me too, Reannon. I always feel so bloody hopeful. Habits are something I’ve worked really hard on this past year and it’s been so good. Hope it all goes well for you.

Oh Bron, I was supposed to ‘soar’ in 2016, and soar I did, to incredible heights, but also some things made me reach incredible lows too. So, let’s just put that all behind us, shall we. Goodbye 2016, and hello new year, new blog and new word.

I am just going to delight in life, this year. Delight is my new word.

And I guess your word is relevant to me too. I may (steal) adopt intention too. Thanks Bron!

I can’t help but feel that when we soar, we should expect to fall too. I hope the heights far outweighed the lows, Kate. Same for this year, of course. Delight means you can’t help but have a good one! x

I haven’t chosen a word yet, but I’m tossing up between ‘clarity’ and ‘present’ I think. 2016 was a weird year for me, one full of ups & down and I spent most of the year lost in the fog of my mind, hence the two words I’m tossing up between. I really want to gain some clarity this year in how I want the next 5 years of my life to look, how everything is going to fit together with figuring out business goals and helping Punky (and all of us!) settle in to our first year as schoolies. And present, I feel like I spent most of 2016 avoiding anything that seemed a little too hard or required brain power. I feel like I have wasted a lot of Punky’s last year at home and I want to make up for that by making an effort to be much more present. I think this whole comment is pretty representative of my muddled state of mind at the moment!

I like your word, intention, it’s such a good one and can be applied in so many different ways and areas of your life. Happy New Year, Bron, I hope 2017 is smashing for you xx

• says

I think clarity will bring you the presence you are seeking, Kylie. No such thing as ‘wasted’ either. I think hindsight is such a bitch. It ignores all other factors. The fact that we do what we can, where we are, with what we have. You’ll find your way. Choose clarity to help you get there. x

Haven’t chosen a word and I don’t think I chose a word for this year. I like intention because I intend to do a lot of things in 2017 – not big things, but things that I didn’t have the headspace for with Phoebe as a baby. Now that we’re in the toddler years… I can start to see clearly… Happy New Year to you Bron. Hoping 2017 is a brilliant year for all of us.

Mine should be ‘discipline’ but will probably just end up being ‘perve’ (like the year before and the year before that).
    All the best for 2017 cougar.

I find it dispiriting the years I look back on my Word and see I got no where near the mark {{}}
    Love you to pick a word for me this year 😉 most years I have a few and have to narrow down, this year, big blank

• says

I find it more humorous than dispiriting. I’m long past not being amused by my own uselessness . So… a word for Wrin. A word I think will suit you after a very big year. I choose…

ENJOY

A reader mentioned that this was her word in 2016 and I thought it such a good one. It reminds us to be present, to appreciate, to accept, to relax. Do you think it’s a word that would help remind you of what it’s all about? Hope so! x

My word for 2017 is ‘Mobilise’.

2016 brought into focus what I really want and what needs to happen to get there, so 2017 is taking the first steps to realize my way there.Mobilising myself, my resources, my communities to bring to life the best in all of us along the way.

• says

So good! Plans are one thing, action quite another. I always fall down with the doing. Sending you all the good vibes to help your plans grow and prosper. x

That’s a really good choice. I usually pick a word, but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was for 2016… So I’m not going to pick one for 2017 but I have similar plans to you. I want to set realistic concrete goals not airy things that I don’t end up achieving. All the best for 2017 :)

I love Intention as your word and that it encompasses everything in your life. I’m pretty sure you’ll rock it Bron.

My word for 2017 is ‘Focus’. I’m taking a very specific aim for my word this year which is kind of fitting. Here is my blog post on why I’ve chosen ‘ficus’ as my word http://bit.ly/2iB8zQw

Happy New Year Bron, to you and yours, and thank you once again for keeping it real and being inspirational .

• says

Okay, I’m capturing your vibes through the screen and I’m getting these three words:
      OVERCOME (possibly because you used ‘struggle’ )
      PASSION
      ENOUGH

Any of those taking your fancy? x

I can’t think of a word, maybe it is because of all the alcohol I consumed last night at a NYE party! Have a great year!

I love the word Intention Bron. It says that no matter what happens, you are going into something thinking about it, not just mindlessly doing it.

On Dec 30th 2014, I chose my first ever ‘word’ for the year. It was SIMPLICITY. I even wrote a blog post about it
    And 2015 turned out to be a shocker!!

Then when dad died on Christmas Eve last year, I spent the New Year planning his funeral and my daughter Ella’s surgery three days later so choosing a word just wasn’t on my agenda.

But this year I am going to give it another go (now 2017, don’t you let me down!)

So my word for 2017 is EXPLORE.
    Explore how far I can take my writing. I want to stop tinkering and knuckle down and finish my novel. I am booked into a retreat in July with the fab Fiona McIntosh and have set myself the goal of having a completed first draft by then.

I want to explore new places and explore things I’ve always wanted to try like learning to speak Italian and how to cook authentic Italian food. I signed up to the language app Babbel a year ago but have barely used it so going to give it a try and I have booked a fab Italian chef to come give my family a private cooking class while we are on our upcoming holiday to the Hunter Valley

Finally, I want to explore who I currently am and who I feel I was always destined to be and see how I can bring the two closer together.

Wishing everyone many blessings and good luck chasing your words for 2017.
    Shell. x

What a shocker you had last year, Shell! Blah! I’m often grateful that we get a ‘fresh start’ each year. It really feels that way to me.

EXPLORE is such a good choice. I rather fancy it for myself one year. It implies all kinds of delving and adventuring. I hope it works out perfectly for you. x

Thanks for your ongoing support, Charlene! You’ve got such a good word this year. Balance is something that I struggle with a lot. Just like your massive clear out last year, I will be reading and getting motivated! x

Happy New Year Bron! Hope 2017 is full of intent for you. I love the word you’ve chosen. Like you, my word last year didn’t work out too well. For 2017, my word is ‘Flourish’ because I’m trying to start a more positive outlook to life and it fits in terms of mindset as well as physical health. It’s based on positive psychology principles too so I’m hoping I’m actually going to apply it to my life. :)

• says

Flourish is such a good word, Sanch. It just has that special kick that makes you feel like it’s going to be a very good year indeed!!

So, I am writing about this next week (9 Jan) for my bloggy link up on Mondays Life This Week…and will now tell you (as I did on IG I think!) that my word is kindness. I need to be kinder to myself. I am my own worst critic and it’s not helping me as I age nor change. I want to be kinder to others too. I am too quick to snap so want to take more time before I respond.
    However, interestingly, your post started something in me that I needed to follow through on…intention. I need to dig a bit deeper within me and get to know me better (see about re kindness) and take notice of what is NOW rather than was/will be….so today, Jan 1, I wrote the first of what will be a weekly post about Intention. Wish me luck! I hope I see it through for the 52 weeks…each and every Sunday.
    Happy New Year to you and yours. Denyse xx

Ooooh I like intention! For me 2016 has been s tough year, a challenging year. I don’t like to say it was a bad year, as good stuff happened and my kids had a terrific year, but I’m quietly glad that it’s over and there’s s chance for something fresh.

My word is passion. I want to live a more passionate life. I want to discover my passion in life. I don’t want life to wash by me. Let’s see!

Hey Bron,
    Hope you had a lovely New Years Eve. Love the word intention.

My word is discipline. Obviously my word from last year wasn’t enough (consistency) to get me over the line. I need a bit more oomph hehe. So discipline it is. I can feel myself squirming and attempting to avoid the word already. (As someone who likes to “go with the flow” & procrastinate, 2017 should be interesting)
    Hopefully if my blog plays nice it will be published on Monday.

• says

I love that you’ve chosen a word that makes you squirm. ‘Discipline’ makes me a bit squirmy too – which is probably why I should have chosen it this year too! I lack discipline but wish I didn’t and I guess I’m hoping ‘intention’ gets me over the line like your ‘consistency’ (didn’t… ) I hope discipline works for you. Bring on the challenge!

Happy New Year Bron! Love your word. I have chosen Nourish for my word this year, last year was a shocker for me personally, so I am making this year about me (I know how selfish, lol), and ensure I take better care of myself. xx

Not selfish at all! Necessary. Nourishing yourself makes perfect sense to me, Julie. And you’ll nourish your brood through it as well. x

I am greedy and chose two words: fearless and momentum – because they both seem to go hand in hand for me at the moment. I want to throw away the fears that hold me back. I want this year to be all about going forwards. No backwards steps or sitting in the doldrums for me anymore! Life is short! x

I love intention. The word feels precious to me! I’ve chosen breathe. Finally shared it on my blog. Here’s to my writing & breathing to create space for what matters most this year. Happy New Year Bron x